How to Become a Director of WOW!
High Point University, in North Carolina, USA, employs a Director of WOW.
A Director of what? Wow, that person must have an unusual job, right, with a title like that?
Correct. They’re responsible for creating WOW experiences for students, and for getting rid of un-WOWs.
I LOVE that! And so should you, because you can become a Director of WOW in your own life.
So, what sorts of experiences does a Director of WOW organise at High Point? Among a gazillion other WOW experiences, students fortunate enough to be enrolled at this university can receive wake-up calls from the campus concierge, and on their birthday, they receive a card and Starbucks giftcard from the university’s president, along with a meal specially prepared by the campus’ chef.
The Director of WOW goes all out to ensure that students (the university’s clients) feel exceptionally well cared for, with students coming away from these encounters saying, ‘WOW!’.
A toner-supply company here in Australia, called The Cartridge Family, also goes out of its way to make its customers feel very special. For example, they give free jelly-frog sweets with every order, and send birthday gifts to the person who places the order.
Do you think that makes people go, ‘WOW!’? You betcha! Do you think that High Point and The Cartridge Family attract many satisfied repeat clients who tell everyone they know about the amazing experiences they’ve had? DEFINITELY!
So, if this WOW concept really works when running a university or traditional business, how can it apply to YOUR life? And why would you bother using it?
Well, the good old universal law of attraction states that ‘like vibrations attract life vibrations’. So, if you deliberately create high-vibration (WOW) experiences, you’ll attract more of the same. Sounds great, doesn’t it?
To apply this in your life, how could you go about creating ‘WOW’ experiences for yourself, your family, your friends? What difference would that make in their lives, and in yours?
Think hard about someone you know, someone you love. Is there something you could do for them (that you don’t usually do) that they would love, and that would really stand out? What would make them say, ‘WOW!’?
It doesn’t have to be expensive. Focus more on the experience, and making the other person/people feel special, and making the experience delightfully different.
- sending a friend a beautiful card that expresses what their friendship means to you, recounting some treasured (and funny) memories?
- making Monday nights into ‘dinner surprise’ night, with family members’ favourite recipes being created for dinner?
- taking family or friends to secret destinations that you know they’ll love? (A friend of mine told me that when she was a child, her mum sometimes used to take her and her brother out of school at lunchtime, and take them to the beach for a swim and a picnic!)
- taking your love on a weekend away to another city, staying in a beautiful five-star hotel?
- trying a new high-adrenaline sport?
- in summer, creating a picnic experience using your best china and glassware, eating and drinking lush, exotic treats?
- popping a ‘You Are Loved’ card into a stranger’s letterbox or in the mail to your mother? (To download a free template for these cards, head here.)
- making a sumptuous posy of flowers from your garden and dropping them over to a neighbour?
- organising a surprise party for someone, just to appreciate who they are? (Complete with slide show of favourite photos, guests recounting fun stories and why they appreciate the person in question?)
Really, creating a WOW experience is just about being thoughtful, creative and courageous. And what a way to create a rich life! Put thought and effort into creating high-vibration experiences, and, I tell ya, it’ll come back to you 10-fold. It’s so rewarding.
I’d love to hear what you’d do to become a Director of WOW in your life. What WOW experience could you create for yourself or for someone else? Leave a comment below and let us know!